Pages

Creating Calculations in MindView 3 a Simulation

For the past 2 1/2 years I have worked with Adobe Captivate to create video demonstrations and simulations of software that I am teaching to my students and business clients. I have worked hard to hone my skills and last Fall passed the Adobe Certification test for Adobe Captivate 3. When Adobe Captivate 4 was released I was eager to get my hands on it and learn about how to integrate some of the new features into my elearning bag of tricks. One of the areas that Adobe Captivate 4 really shines in the development of software simulations. It is possible with Adobe Captivate 4 to create simulations that your users can interact with that allows them to experience what it is like to use a specific piece of software without actually having to have the software installed on their computer. Imagine being able to guide someone through a software application with prompts and feedback. What makes Adobe Captivate 4 even nicer is that for the most part it builds most of the simulation for you right out of the box. With the addition of the editing tools in Adobe Captivate you can always go back to your screens and edit them.

This past weekend I had a chance to build a simulation of what it would be like to utilize the Calculation features that are built into MindView 3 Business Edition. The Calculation feature found in MindView 3 BE is very powerful but may not be as accessible for some who may not understand how to use it. Using the Calculation feature you can add numerical values to branches as well as formulas that are automatically calculated. Built-in functions allow you to display values automatically rolled up from lower sub-branches to higher ones. This is extremely powerful but I would guess that many MindView 3 users have not attempted to use this feature because of the step involved. In any case I am hoping that if you walk through my video simulation you will have a good idea of how to add numerical values and create formulas to your branches and then using the built in functions Sum the values. So give it a try and let me know what you liked or disliked about working through the simulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment